Tuesday, August 10, 2010

RED HOOD - The LOST DAYS # 1 SPOILER REVIEW


Origin Time is my Favorite Time!

Red Hood - The Lost Days is meant to promote the new-ish DCAU moive, Batman: Under the Hood, which is named after the mini-series which reintroduced Jason Todd. Jason was the second Robin who was murdered by the Joker thanks to whiny Dick Grayson fans. The infamous 1-900 number one-dollar hotlines giving callers the ability to vote for or against Jason's death was, in my opinion, the BEST thing DC every came up with. If Jason never died, I don't think I would have become a fan of comics entirely. It was after reading Under the Hood, that I fell in love with comics. Jason's agony, and suffering was awesomely written by Judd Winick, who coincidentally, wrote this!

Writing

Two Words: PURE GOLD. Reading the first three sentences caused me to wait in agony over the next 5 issues. This issue was Jason-light, meaning Jason was barley the main focus of this issue. Instead, it focused on Talia and Ra's Al Ghul trying to deal with Jason. This issue was like the old TV show Growing Pains, but with terrorists as the parents and a vegetable Jason as their son. Though I'm not much of a fan of Talia and Ra's, Winick managed to make me like the Talia and dislike Ra's a lot more! Talia is shown as a caring mother figure towards Jason, and even goes as far to bitch slap Jason to prove that Jason's mental status is improving. Why can't my mom do that?  Ra's is shown to be a dick about Talia caring for Jason due to Ra's seeing Jason as a vegetable that will never recover.
Although this issue's main focus was on Talia and Ra's, Winick managed to portray them very well and managed to make me see that Ra's is, and forever will be, a dick.

Art
The art was okay.  The people's faces looked a bit flat and unemotional. At the very beginning, Ra's looks very constipated. And I mean VERY constipated. Like, to the ninth dimension. Ra's and Talia seem well drawn through out the whole issue, and Jason doesn't look like the Jason Todd that I know. Though it's probably because the Jason I know is a lot older. The art in this issue, in my opinion, seems like Jason's dialogue. His body language does the talking for him in this issue, which basically means that the art does the talking for Jason. Also, Batman made a cameo appearance in this issue, and can I tell you, if it wasn't for the Batman logo, I would have mistaken him for a ninja or something. Lesson learned: Super heroes NEED logos.  
The art could have been a lot better, but it still manages to portray the writing properly.

The Good

The best part of this issue was that it managed to end the boring part very fast. It was a good start with superb writing and semi-flat looking art. At the end, Talia pushes Jason into the Lazarus Pit! Hopefully this means that the next issue will be a container for immense action and Jason Todd style brutality.

The Bad

Hoping that this issue focused mainly on Jason, I was disappointed that it, instead, focused on Talia and Ra's. The art was semi-flat, with the faces of people looking very unemotional. Also, Jason didn't get to talk :o

Overall Rating: 7.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment