Monday, August 16, 2010

BATMAN - THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE # 1 NON - SPOILER REVIEW


This is Some Messed Up Stuff!

After Final Crisis, Bruce Wayne got sent to the past! The Return of Bruce Wayne is meant to show Bruce's journey through out time to reach his time line. Each six issues focuses on a different era and features a different artist. However the whole mini series is written by Grant Morrison!

Writing

If Grant Morrison wrote this, you can be sure that the whole book is good. Though I'm not much of a fan of cave man comic related stuff, Morrison's writing made it easier for me to read it. The way Morrison makes the cave man talks seems more realistic then the typical moans and grunts you hear on TV. The dialogue is very solid and very primitive sounding. Bruce only says a few things, which don't make sense to me.
The writing is very good, and hard to put in words for some strange reason. Morrison manages to make a cave man story with Batman in it very good, despite how weird it sounds. 

Art

This issue was drawn by Chris Sprouse. Despite not knowing who Chris Sprouse is, I came to like the artwork very much. Everything was drawn nicely and I found no faults in it. What I found neat about the whole "different artist for every issue" is that at the end of each issue, the artist of the current issue would sample the next issue by drawing the introduction to it. So for example, in this issue, Sprouse would draw an introduction to the next issue, which is drawn by Frazer Irving.
The art spoke for itself and was very well done with no faults seen in it.

The Good

The best part of the issue was how the art and writing came together. Sometimes, a comic book would have good writing, but is ruined by the bad artwork or vice versa.

The Bad

The only problem I had with this issue was that I got confused half the time by the cave man things. The names confused me as I could not seem to remember who's who, and the tribal ritual things confused me as well.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment